October 1, 2008

BEIJING TIP: China Mobile costs

The first day I got to Beijing, I got a Beijing number with China Mobile by buying a prepaid SIM card. These cards should usually cost about 50-80 RMB, unless you want to pick a number, then it will cost more.

This morning I got an SMS from China Mobile saying I only had 5 RMB left on my card. This was strange as I recharged my card just last week with 100 RMB. I called the customer service to find out a breakdown of the costs:

- Outgoing calls 0.6 RMB / min
- Incoming calls 0.4 RMB / min
- SMS 0.15 RMB / msg

She also gave me some tips to save money:
- Add 12593 before every local Beijing number and talk for just 0.2 RMB / min (this does not work for SMS so you gotta type it in everytime)
- Join the basic 10RMB / month plan and all incoming calls from China Mobile numbers are free (you can join this by texting "KTCTWY" to the number 10086, starting from the following month)

No comments: