March 4, 2009

Spring visit to 798

This Sunday, paid a visit to one of my favorite places in Beijing - 798 art district - after a long hiatus (too cold in winter to walk around there). If you don't know what's 798, you can read my previous posts.

Unfortunately, many large galleries were empty, I think because not many people went in the winter. Here are some highlights of what I saw:

Incredibly life-like animal/person/aliens lounging around in their space pods, awesome!

Artist name is Unmask, find out more about the gallery & artists here.

Yum, I love cabbage

Main reason for visiting this time, is the opening of a friend's shop on 798 street west 西街.

Caicai's shop is called Gezidian 格子店 and she sells small locally hand-made nick-knacks great for souvenir or gifts. Please visit her shop if you get the chance!


Here's another cool sculpture exhibition, theme is about the 5 elements: wind, water, fire, wood, earth. But I'm not sure which element this one is :P

This one is wind, very cool

Fire, the pile of black stuff is all charcoal.

Another circle of elements


Be sure to haul your ass 798 if you come to Beijing!




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Alex,

I believe the 5 elements are
gold (metal), wood, water, fire & earth. Wind is not one of them.

W. Wong